Skip to main content

Guantanamo Yemeni calls for trial in US federal system

Wednesday, January 27, 2010
WASHINGTON: Defense lawyers for a Yemeni man accused of being an aide to Osama bin Laden launched an appeal Tuesday against his life sentence, arguing he had the right to a new trial before a US federal court.

Ali Hamza Ahmad al-Bahlul, said to have been an aide and media secretary to the Al-Qaeda leader, was convicted in November 2008 by a military commission at the US naval base in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

He was sentenced to life imprisonment on charges of conspiracy, solicitation to murder and terrorist acts, as well as providing material support for terrorism.

But his lawyer told a Washington appeals court that Bahlul had the right to a new trial in a federal court, and contested the evidence used to convict his client.

The main evidence rested on a video dating from October 2000 which the prosecution says was used to recruit new Al-Qaeda members.

"He may have advocated violence, anti-semitism and violence against women, but none of those are specific in time, place or means," said civilian defense lawyer Michel Paradis.

He also argued Bahlul had the right to invoke the First Amendment of the US Constitution, which upholds the right to freedom of speech and expression.

But that argument was rejected by the prosecution which said the video was an incitement to violence, and argued Bahlul was an "enemy combatant" who had been correctly tried before the military commissions.

The appeals court is due to make its ruling in the next month, a Pentagon source told media.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cuba's world-famous cigar festival closes in Havana

Sunday, February 28, 2010 HAVANA: Hundreds of wealthy merchants and cigar aficionados from all parts of the world gathered in Havana this week to bid high stakes for humidors full of premium cigars. Cuba's annual Habanos festival ended on Friday night with an auction of ornate humidors of cedar and mahogany stacked with hand-rolled stogies that raised 800,000 euros ($1.09 million dollars). Habanos S.A. executives this month said cigar sales fell 8 percent to $360 million in 2009, so they have created the Julieta, a smaller, milder version of the Romeo y Julieta cigar, aimed specifically at female smokers. Women now make up only 5 to 10 percent of customers for Habanos. But even with the creation of the Julieta, Garcia said Habanos has only modest hopes for 2010 sales, due largely to a weak economy in Spain, the biggest market for Cuban cigars. The flavor of premium tobacco relies on the soil and climate in which it is grown. The western province of Pinar Del Rio, famous fo...

Thousands gather to commemorate Hariri anniversary

BEIRUT: Thousands of people converged Saturday on central Beirut to mark the fourth anniversary of the assassination of Lebanese former premier Rafiq Hariri.Waving Lebanese flags and carrying pictures of the slain leader, men, women and children gathered under sunny skies in Martyr's Square where members of the parliamentary majority were to address the crowd. The rally comes as final preparations are underway in The Hague for the launch of the international tribunal set up to bring Hariri's killers to justice. It also comes as the country prepares for legislative elections in June that will pit Western-backed political parties against a Hezbollah-led alliance backed by Syria and Iran.Hariri died in a massive car bombing on February 14, 2005 that also killed 22 others. The assassination was widely blamed on then Lebanese power-broker Syria, which has denied any involvement. The attack on the Beirut seafront was one of the worst acts of political violence to rock Lebanon since t...

Aamir Khan in Yashraj's TV show Rishta.com

Yashraj Productions is making its debut on a small screen but just like films their TV show has all the star power as well. The numero uno banner of Bollywood is coming up with a show called Rishta.com, apparently, a comedy series which will show a matrimony office through which couples meet. YRF has tapped all their loyalists including Shah Rukh Khan, Rani Mukerji, Preity Zinta, Uday Chopra, Tabu and Riteish Deshmukh to make an appearance on their show but opening the curtains will be biggest Khan of them all, Aamir Khan. According to reports, Aamir has agreed to be a part of YRF’s new show and the main reasons for his nod is the fact that it’s very close to real life. The perfectionist star's inclusion also comes as a surprise as the banner has always flaunted SRK to be their lucky mascot. Industry sources indicate that it’s going to be big indeed, however, the details of Aamir’s role on the show haven’t been divulged as yet.