Skip to main content

Parents in 'balloon boy' hoax jailed

Thursday, December 24, 2009 DENVER: The parents in Colorado's "balloon boy" hoax were handed jail sentences on Wednesday after pleading guilty to charges stemming from the incident.Richard Heene, 48, showed no emotion as Judge Stephen Schapanski handed him a 90-day sentence -- which will begin in January -- before a packed courtroom in Fort Collins, outside Denver."This in simple terms was an elaborate hoax that was devised by Mr and Mrs Heene," Schapanski said."What this case is about is deception and exploitation -- exploitation of the Heenes' children, exploitation of the media, exploitation of the feelings of people. And it was all about money, making money."Under the terms of the sentence, Heene will serve 30 days behind bars while the remainder of the term will be "work release," allowing the father-of-three to be free to work during the day but spending his nights in a jail cell.Heene, who had pleaded guilty to a felony charge of attempting to influence a public servant, earlier apologized to the judge for the hoax in a brief statement to the court."I do want to reiterate that I'm very very sorry and I want to apologize to all the rescue workers out there and the people that got involved in the community. That's it," he said.Heene's Japanese-born wife Mayumi was handed a 20-day jail term after admitting a misdemeanor offense of false reporting to authorities.However Mayumi Heene will only have to begin her sentence when her husband's has been completed. She will also be able to serve the sentence on a part-time basis -- two days each week, in order to continue to work.Richard Heene also received four years probation and was forbidden from any activity which allows him to profit from the October hoax, which transfixed US television and caused a worldwide media sensation.The hoax unfolded on October 15 after the Heenes alerted authorities and media that their six-year-old son, Falcon, had clambered into a home-made helium balloon shaped like a flying saucer and floated away.A massive air and land search was launched involving military helicopters and dozens of law enforcement officials.Flights at Denver International Airport were also diverted during the incident, which ended when Falcon emerged from a hiding place at the family home roughly five hours into the drama.But law enforcement later began to suspect the incident was a hoax when Falcon Heene let slip in a CNN television interview that the entire episode had been done "for the show."The hoax was confirmed within 48 hours of the interview, when Mayumi Heene broke down under police questioning, according to police. The couple had hoped to land a reality television deal after gaining publicity from the hoax.Prosecutor Andrew Lewis told the court that the stunt had used up 389 man hours from law enforcement officers, and that the bill for the case so far was more than 47,000 dollars and could increase.The Heenes will be asked to foot the bill but the terms of restitution will be fixed at a later date.Lewis urged the court to issue a jail term to deter other publicity-seekers from similar hoaxes in future."Mr Heene wasted a lot of manpower and a lot of money in order to get himself some publicity," Lewis said. "Their needs to be deterrence to other people who want their 30 seconds of fame. This court needs to send a message to all the people who want to do something like this."However Richard Heene's lawyer urged the court not to send his client to jail, comparing the hoax to Orson Welles' legendary 1938 radio broadcast of "War of the Worlds," which triggered fears of an alien invasion."When Orson Welles convinced Americans that Martians were landing people were committing suicide, people were panicked, they were running through the streets," he said. "I don't recall that he ever went to jail for it."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thousands gather to commemorate Hariri anniversary

BEIRUT: Thousands of people converged Saturday on central Beirut to mark the fourth anniversary of the assassination of Lebanese former premier Rafiq Hariri.Waving Lebanese flags and carrying pictures of the slain leader, men, women and children gathered under sunny skies in Martyr's Square where members of the parliamentary majority were to address the crowd. The rally comes as final preparations are underway in The Hague for the launch of the international tribunal set up to bring Hariri's killers to justice. It also comes as the country prepares for legislative elections in June that will pit Western-backed political parties against a Hezbollah-led alliance backed by Syria and Iran.Hariri died in a massive car bombing on February 14, 2005 that also killed 22 others. The assassination was widely blamed on then Lebanese power-broker Syria, which has denied any involvement. The attack on the Beirut seafront was one of the worst acts of political violence to rock Lebanon since t...

Aamir Khan in Yashraj's TV show Rishta.com

Yashraj Productions is making its debut on a small screen but just like films their TV show has all the star power as well. The numero uno banner of Bollywood is coming up with a show called Rishta.com, apparently, a comedy series which will show a matrimony office through which couples meet. YRF has tapped all their loyalists including Shah Rukh Khan, Rani Mukerji, Preity Zinta, Uday Chopra, Tabu and Riteish Deshmukh to make an appearance on their show but opening the curtains will be biggest Khan of them all, Aamir Khan. According to reports, Aamir has agreed to be a part of YRF’s new show and the main reasons for his nod is the fact that it’s very close to real life. The perfectionist star's inclusion also comes as a surprise as the banner has always flaunted SRK to be their lucky mascot. Industry sources indicate that it’s going to be big indeed, however, the details of Aamir’s role on the show haven’t been divulged as yet.

89 killed in Peshawar blast: hospital sources

Wednesday, October 28, 2009 PESHAWAR/Pakistan: The death toll of the blast occurred in Meena Bazar Peshawar has climbed to 89, hospital sources said. More then 200 people injured in the blast.According to reports, three persons have been rescued from the rubbles of the buildings collapsed after the explosion. The injured have been shifted to Lady Reading Hospital and other hospitals where emergency has been announced. The children and women are also among the wounded. Some of the injured reported in a critical condition. The administration of Lady Reading Hospital has appealed for blood donation. The blast shattered windowpanes of nearby buildings and created panic among the people. The charred bodies have been recovered from the blast site as several persons still trapped under the rubbles. A nearby mosque Umme Habiba has been destroyed in the explosion. Police have cordoned off the area as rescue operation is on the blast site. President Asif Ali Zardari has expressed his heartfelt g...