NEW DELHI: BJP leader Varun Gandhi, who recently triggered a controversy by his hate-speech, said that people should know him by his work rather than his Gandhi tag. "People ask me that I am from the Gandhi family and so how do I feel. I tell everyone that I want to be known by my work, not by my name. I want to be seen as 'Gandhi by work', not 'Gandhi by name'," he said. Mr. Gandhi was addressing an election meeting at Fatehpur in Uttar Pradesh. He is contesting Lok Sabha election on a BJP ticket from the Pilibhit constituency in Uttar Pradesh. The 29-year-old BJP leader had run into a controversy after he delivered a hate-speech against Muslims during a public meeting in Pilibhit on March 7. He was later arrested after being booked under the NSA.
BAGHDAD: Nearly 500 U.S. Army combat engineers who specialize in clearing roads of explosives started shifting to southern Afghanistan."We are probably going to be the beginning of the influx you are going to see to Afghanistan," Lt. Col. Kevin Landers, commander of the Fort Carson, Colo.-based 4th Engineer Battalion, said as crews packed crates and cleaned vehicles for the flight to Kandahar.Obama has ordered 17,000 more U.S. soldiers and Marines to Afghanistan to bolster the 38,000 American troops already battling the resurgent Taliban."We are going to take this footprint out of Iraq," said Landers, whose battalion received word of its reassignment last month just after taking command of clearing roads in Baghdad of bombs and debris.
Comments