Wednesday, October 28, 2009 KABUL: Six foreigners among nine have been killed and another five wounded in an attack on a Kabul guesthouse used by staff of the United Nations, an Afghan official said Wednesday.The United Nations confirmed earlier that six UN staff members staying at the guesthouse were killed. "Three suicide bombers have been killed during the police operation, they were armed suicide bombers," said Zemarai Bashary, spokesman for the interior ministry."Unfortunately six foreigners have been killed, five foreigners have been wounded and three suicide bombers have been killed," he told media. He had no other details. An Afghan soldier by the site of the attack, in a busy shopping district near Kabul's Butcher Street, said four men and one woman were among the dead. One police officer and one intelligence officer had also been killed, he said, speaking on condition of anonymity.Six foreigners were among nine killed and five others wounded in the attack, which ended at 8:30 am (0400 GMT), said Zemarai Bashary, spokesman for the interior ministry. "The operation is over now," he told media. "Three suicide attackers were killed."The Taliban claimed responsibility Wednesday for a fatal attack in central Kabul, saying it was the "first step" in a campaign of violence aimed at disrupting an upcoming presidential election run-off. "We claim responsibility," Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahed told media by phone."This is the first step, as we have warned that we will disrupt the second round of the elections," he said, referring to the November 7 run-off of the presidential election.Speaking from an undisclosed location, he said three militants wearing explosives-packed suicide vests and armed with automatic weapons were involved in the raid. The attack began at around 5:30 am (0100 GMT). The Taliban have called for a boycott of the run-off, threatening violent consequences for anyone who votes.
Sunday, February 28, 2010 HAVANA: Hundreds of wealthy merchants and cigar aficionados from all parts of the world gathered in Havana this week to bid high stakes for humidors full of premium cigars. Cuba's annual Habanos festival ended on Friday night with an auction of ornate humidors of cedar and mahogany stacked with hand-rolled stogies that raised 800,000 euros ($1.09 million dollars). Habanos S.A. executives this month said cigar sales fell 8 percent to $360 million in 2009, so they have created the Julieta, a smaller, milder version of the Romeo y Julieta cigar, aimed specifically at female smokers. Women now make up only 5 to 10 percent of customers for Habanos. But even with the creation of the Julieta, Garcia said Habanos has only modest hopes for 2010 sales, due largely to a weak economy in Spain, the biggest market for Cuban cigars. The flavor of premium tobacco relies on the soil and climate in which it is grown. The western province of Pinar Del Rio, famous fo...
Comments