Skip to main content

SA’s athletics official under fire

Monday, September 21, 2009 JOHANNESBURG: South Africa’s government received support on Sunday for its demand that the country’s top athletics official be axed after he admitted lying about gender tests conducted on 800-meter world champion Caster Semenya.Athletics South Africa president Leonard Chuene apologized Saturday, saying he had lied to protect the 18-year-old’s privacy.The sports ministry called on the ASA to fire Chuene.“If they fail to do so, they run the risk of being led by a liar,” Gert Oosthuizen, the deputy sports minister, said in a statement.For once, the country’s main opposition was in agreement.Democratic Alliance spokesman Donald Lee said Chuene had damaged South Africa’s image.“Mr. Chuene’s immediate dismissal is the very least that needs to happen,” he said in a statement.Chuene was not immediately available for comment.Semenya won the 800 at the world championships in Berlin in 1 minute, 55.45 seconds on Aug. 19, finishing 2.45 seconds ahead of her closest competitor in the fastest time at the distance this year.Hours before the final, the International Association of Athletics Federations announced it had ordered tests done on the runner. It said questions had been raised about her muscular physique, running style and recent stunning improvement in times.The IAAF has refused to confirm or deny Australian media reports earlier this month that Semenya has both male and female characteristics, saying it is reviewing test results and will issue a decision in November on whether the athlete will be allowed to continue to compete in women’s events.Chuene had repeatedly said tests were only done abroad, not in South Africa.However, on Saturday he said he knew of tests conducted on Semenya at a Pretoria hospital on Aug. 7. He said his constant denials were an “error of judgment,” but insisted he would not resign.Oosthuizen said his ministry had been shocked by Chuene’s admissions and that his actions were unacceptable.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thousands gather to commemorate Hariri anniversary

BEIRUT: Thousands of people converged Saturday on central Beirut to mark the fourth anniversary of the assassination of Lebanese former premier Rafiq Hariri.Waving Lebanese flags and carrying pictures of the slain leader, men, women and children gathered under sunny skies in Martyr's Square where members of the parliamentary majority were to address the crowd. The rally comes as final preparations are underway in The Hague for the launch of the international tribunal set up to bring Hariri's killers to justice. It also comes as the country prepares for legislative elections in June that will pit Western-backed political parties against a Hezbollah-led alliance backed by Syria and Iran.Hariri died in a massive car bombing on February 14, 2005 that also killed 22 others. The assassination was widely blamed on then Lebanese power-broker Syria, which has denied any involvement. The attack on the Beirut seafront was one of the worst acts of political violence to rock Lebanon since t...

Aamir Khan in Yashraj's TV show Rishta.com

Yashraj Productions is making its debut on a small screen but just like films their TV show has all the star power as well. The numero uno banner of Bollywood is coming up with a show called Rishta.com, apparently, a comedy series which will show a matrimony office through which couples meet. YRF has tapped all their loyalists including Shah Rukh Khan, Rani Mukerji, Preity Zinta, Uday Chopra, Tabu and Riteish Deshmukh to make an appearance on their show but opening the curtains will be biggest Khan of them all, Aamir Khan. According to reports, Aamir has agreed to be a part of YRF’s new show and the main reasons for his nod is the fact that it’s very close to real life. The perfectionist star's inclusion also comes as a surprise as the banner has always flaunted SRK to be their lucky mascot. Industry sources indicate that it’s going to be big indeed, however, the details of Aamir’s role on the show haven’t been divulged as yet.

89 killed in Peshawar blast: hospital sources

Wednesday, October 28, 2009 PESHAWAR/Pakistan: The death toll of the blast occurred in Meena Bazar Peshawar has climbed to 89, hospital sources said. More then 200 people injured in the blast.According to reports, three persons have been rescued from the rubbles of the buildings collapsed after the explosion. The injured have been shifted to Lady Reading Hospital and other hospitals where emergency has been announced. The children and women are also among the wounded. Some of the injured reported in a critical condition. The administration of Lady Reading Hospital has appealed for blood donation. The blast shattered windowpanes of nearby buildings and created panic among the people. The charred bodies have been recovered from the blast site as several persons still trapped under the rubbles. A nearby mosque Umme Habiba has been destroyed in the explosion. Police have cordoned off the area as rescue operation is on the blast site. President Asif Ali Zardari has expressed his heartfelt g...